One of Lake Erie’s Hidden Gems, An Affordable Island Alternative
Where is Middle Bass Island, Ohio and what is there to do?
Middle Bass Island (originally Isle des Fleures) is a 805 acre island located north of South Bass Island (the northern end of which is the village of Put-in-Bay) and south of North Bass Island (Isle St George). Makes sense – right!
Middle Bass Island is in northern Ottawa County, and is part of Put-in-Bay Township (a seperate entity from the village) which includes all of the islands in Ottawa County. Kelleys Island is east of the Bass Islands, and is located in Erie County. Kelleys Island is not part of Put-in-Bay Township. The larger islands are surrounded by other smaller islands many of which are privately owned and not accessible to the public.
Larger Pelee Island in Canada is to the North. There numerous Canadian islands. Pellee Island makes a great day trip by boat, but make sure to have your passport and check-in with Customs.
Middle Bass Island’s central location within the Bass Islands, as well as the other Lake Erie Islands makes it an ideal place for you to base your Lake Erie vacation or to purchase a home, building site, cottage or condominium. An undiscovered Ohio gem, the prices are still very reasonable.
Middle Bass Island things to see and do:
- J.F. Walleyes Microbrewery – On Middle Bass Island (MBI) holds regular events throughout the year. Food, drinks, live entertainment and more. There is a wade pool complete with waterfall!
- St. Hazards Resort – Events, rental trailers and campsites, bar/restaurant.
- Middle Bass Island Yacht Club – Great Lakes boater’s connection.
- Middle Bass Rentals – Your best source for renting a place for a day, week or month.
- Miller Boat Line – Your ferry to Middle Bass Island. Part of the experience – enjoy the trip.
- Video with highlights of Middle Bass Island – The quiet island for active people.
- Sonny S – Put-in-Bay is just a shuttle boat ride away! Leave the “Quiet Island for Active People” for the “hopping” spot in the islands. You can generally catch a ride on the hour spring through fall.
- The village of Put-in-Bay is packed with shopping and dining opportunities. Many unique tourist attractions.
- Lake Erie Island Real Estate – The “Hisey Group”
- Middle Bass Island State Park and Marina – A beautiful state park that has undergone some major improvements. Some are still ongoing. Trails, marina, historic structures. Make sure to check out the glacial grooves.
- Lonz Winery – Part of one of Ohio’s beautiful state parks. Completely restored, the lower level is now a museum, and the upper level and press house are rented for weddings, events, and is the home for the Middle Bass Island Music Festival held annually.
This is just a sampling of what the islands have to offer. Other forms of transportation include water taxi’s and private plane service are available. The island has a modern airstrip complete with a small heated/air conditioned terminal.
Mainland activities include wineries, Cedar Point Amusement Park, and nature areas and parks throughout the island/coastal region. Fishing and boating opportunities abound.
Island Office: 891 Fox Rd, Middle Bass Island, Ohio 43446